Carry bear spray & know how to use it
CARRYING BEAR SPRAY
Bear Spray is a key tool while in the outdoors of bear country. Always have it on your person, know how to use bear spray and check trailheads for any bear activity. Bear spray is a life saving tool for you and the bear.
Hey Bear strongly encourages all individuals that live, work or recreate in bear habitat to carry bear spray in an easily accessible way and to know how to use it. Even when carrying bear spray, still follow proper bear precautions.
Bear spray is a very effective deterrent on bears when used properly. Bear spray is only effective when used as an airborne deterrent sprayed as a cloud at an aggressive animal.
BEAR SPRAY RENTAL PROGRAM
Stay safe and protected in bear country with our bear spray rental program. Hey Bear has started a new program for all adventure lovers. For the visitor or proficient adventurer, we have created this program for you! Rent for a flat fee of $20.
Renting bear spray allows you to not have to worry about:
- Buy a can that you won't use again
- Worry about the expiration date
- Have to leave it behind at the airport
TIPS FOR USING BEAR SPRAY:
- 1. DO NOT spray bear spray on any individual, it is not like bug spray. It should be only pointed at a bear and deployed when needed.
- 2. DO NOT forget your bear spray in bear country. A bear does not care who you are.
- 3. Learn how to hold the bear spray with two hands. Make sure you are comfortable so that it turns into a reaction.
- 4. When deploying, hold with two hands and start spraying low in a Z formation and work your way up.
- 5. When recreating always make noice. Talk loud, yell HEY BEAR! and listen to music out loud. The reason bear attacks happen is because you scare the bear since they did not hear you coming.
- 6. Bear Spray is easier to deploy than a gun because if a bear is running at you it would be like a bouncing ball coming at you at full speed. With bear spray it covers a larger area so there is a higher chance of the bear running away.
Watch the video below to learn how to deploy Bear spray safely.
Hey bear scat belt
A great way to carry your bear spray is with the Hey Bear Scat Belt. There are three easy carrying positions:
- 1. Across your waist
- 2. Across your body
- 3. Front of Body
This piece of gear is an easier way to stay safe and make sure that you have your bear spray on your person at all times. The belt also has a pocket for your cellphone, a pocket for your keys and carabiner loops perfect for clipping in your water bottle or dog leash
PETS & BEARS